Assumption was a mission of St. Nicholas Egg Harbor from 1925 until its establishment
as a parish on May 15, 1952. The mission church, located on the corner of the White
Horse Pike and Pomona Road, opened its doors for Sunday Mass in 1925. In 1958, the
Shrine of Our Lady of the Highway facing the White Horse Pike was completed and remains
today a familiar landmark on the way to the seashore. During the 1970's, the church
building was remodeled to conform to the liturgical revisions following upon the
Second Vatican Council.