Bishop Joseph McMahon of Trenton established Holy Saviour parish in December 1928 with the
appointment of Father Lewis A. Hayes as pastor. The first Mass was offered on Christmas
Eve, 1928, on the stage of the new Westmont Theatre on Haddon Avenue. Most of the present
parish complex was built during the pastorate of Monsignor Francis J. Garvey (1937-62).
The church at Holy Saviour caught fire on October 7, 1971, and the entire interior was gutted.
The building was renovated and dedicated in December 1973.