Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Berlin

As early as 1880, a priest from the city of Camden, Father Michael Dilelsi, was assigned by Trenton Bishop McFaul to celebrate Mass each Sunday in what was then known as West Berlin. Mass was celebrated either in private homes or in the stable at the Old Tavern. At this time, most of the Catholics in the area were farmers of Italian heritage. When it had grown to 200 families in 1903, it became an established parish. Father Peter Paris was the first pastor. The parish was responsible during these years for Catholics in Blue Anchor, Waterford, Atco and Gibbsboro. A new church was dedicated by Bishop McMahon of Trenton on October 4, 1931, located at Cedar Avenue and White Horse Pike.


Back to Parish Listings