On July 23, 1848, under the aegis of the Diocese of Philadelphia, Fr. Edward Waldron blessed and opened the first Catholic Church in Cape May County. St. Mary's was a simple frame building located opposite the site of the present church. In 1873, it became an independent parish, and five years later the Church of Our Lady Star of the Sea received incorporation from the State of New Jersey.
Cape May's Great Fire of 1878 left the little church inscathed. In 1911, Fr. Dennis Kelly, pastor, contracted with architect George Lvatt of Philadelphia for the plans resulting in the edifice you see today. The first Mass in the new edifice was celebrated in 1913 and finishing touches continued for five years. The 1972-74 restoration of the church featured the erection of a free-standing altar in the center of the sanctuary, and a marble pulpit and lectern. To ring in the new Millennium, the bells in the tower were restored and a new organ was installed with an extension of pipe work in the gallery.
|Back to Parish Listings|