The first church in the territory that is now St. Anthony of Padua Parish was the first
Catholic Church in all of South Jersey, then called St. Mary of the Assumption, and now
marked by Mary-in-the-Pines Cemetery. It was created to serve the Irish immigrants in the
Batso-Pleasant Mills area, and was completed in 1827. In 1965, St. Anthony of Padua
was established in its own right as a parish with Rev. Umberto Carta as the founding
pastor. Today it is a diverse faith community with approximately 700 families. The
construction of a new parish hall is currently underway.