The Waterford community was originally settled by Irish immigrants. In the
mid-18th century, priests visiting the area were urged to use Shane's Castle for services.
Shane's Castle was a rough cedar log cabin built by three German brothers (Ignatius,
Sebastian and Xavier Waas) in the mid-1700's. After the demise of the Castle,
a wooden church was built on Church Road, located a short distance to the northeast
of the present church building. The present St. Anthony's Church was built in
1929. St. Anthony was named a parish May 23, 1966 with the appointment of Father
Pasquale M. DiBuono as pastor.