St. Casimir/St. Elizabeth Mission, Woodbine Goshen

St. Casmir's Church, Woodbine was erected as a parish with St. Elizabeth of Hungary, Goshen as its Mission. Both Woodbine and Goshen were at the time missions of St. Joseph's Church, Sea Isle City. The first chapel in Woodbine was built in 1926 at St. Casmir Cemetery of Fremont Road to serve the Polish Immigrants who settled in Woodbine and the present church was erected at Clay and Lincoln Avenues in 1927. Earlier, as far back as 1879, St. Elizabeth of Hungary Mission Church, Goshen had been a mission of Our Lady Star of the Sea, Cape May. St. Elizabeth's Church was first located in Port Elizabeth, Cumberland County, within the present confines of St. Mary Magdalen Parish, Millville. A building, originally a girl's academy, was purchased in 1843 and was opened as a Catholic Church in 1845 for Catholics in the ship building and glass industry in Port Elizabeth. It them became a mission of the Salem church in 1852. As the glass industry in Port Elizabeth began to fail, the mission was closed in 1860. The church building was dismantled and floated on barges down the Maurice River to Scholars Creek in 1879, where it was taken to Goshen by horse and buggy and then re-built.


Back to Parish Listings