On November 7, 1952, St. Francis de Sales Church in Barrington was founded as a mission church of St. Rose of Lima Parish in Haddon Heights. Ground was broken for the construction of St. Francis Church on March 28, 1954. The blessing and dedication ceremonies of the newly constructed church took place on January 30, 1955.
On May 20, 1955, St. Francis de Sales Mission Church was elevated into a parish. Our first pastor was Msgr. Joseph Doherty. In August 1957, permission was granted for the construction of a new school for our parish. In September 1957, ground was broken and on September 3, 1958 St. Francis de Sales School opened for its first day of classes. The daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, who novitiate was County Cork, Ireland, agreed to staff the school. The Sisters still teach our children in school and are involved in numerous ministries within our parish community. In recent years, our parish experienced the RENEW Process which fostered and nurtured the spiritual growth of our parish both as a community and as individuals. We participated in the Diocesan Synod, began the RCIA Program and continue promoting our small faith sharing groups. Through the years many of our lay people have gotten involved in ministries within our parish community, as we are stiving to build up the Kingdom of God here in our parish and throughout our town community.
|Back to Parish Listings|