St. John, Collingswood

Prior to 1903, the Catholic families of Collingswood traveled to Camden to attend Mass in a vacant store at Atlantic and Collings Avenue by Father Patrick J. Clune, pastor of St. Peter, Merchantville. He traveled by horse and buggy to celebrate Mass for the Collingswood people. Early in 1904, Tatem's Hall, then at Haddon and Irvin Avenues, became the place of worship. Finally, ground was broken for the new church on land at the corner of Park and Lees Avenues. The first Mass was celebrated in the new church on December 4, 1904. In 1954, the old church was demolished, and in 1955 the new church, with a seating capacity of 850, was dedicated. A new school building was erected in 1969 during the pastorate of Monsignor Augustine T. Mozier, P.A., former vicar general of the Diocese.


Back to Parish Listings