St. Joseph, Somers Point

From its humble beginning in the living room of a local resident in 1908 to its continued success in a local dance hall, St. Joseph parish forged ahead to establish a suitable permanent location for the worship of God. The first St. Joseph Church, a mission church to St. Augustine's Parish in Ocean City, was built in 1922 to accommodate the growing summer population in the area. In 1946, St. Joseph's was officially recognized as a parish with Fr. Paul Barry appointed as its first Pastor (1946-1951). He purchased the adjacent land, for the future, upon which the present church (1957) and rectory (1949) are built. Over the last fifty plus years, St. Joseph Parish, under the direction of seven enthusiastic, energetic and wise men of vision, the foundation of that Catholic community has developed into the beautiful and strong church and regional school complex that is St. Joseph Parish today.


Back to Parish Listings