St. Mary's began as a mission to St. Joseph, Hammonton, in 1906.
The first Mass, in what is now St. Mary's Parish, was celebrated on Christmas in
1903 at the Old Town Hall, Main and Hall Streets. St. Mary's was erected as a
parish in 1909, with Father Nazareth Sagatori as its first pastor. The first church
was built in 1909 and a new church dedicated on Labor Day in 1925 at Main Street and Carroll
Avenue by Bishop Thomas J. Walsh of Trenton. The present church located adjacent to the
former one was completed in 1956.