For the last century, Saint Peter has stood solidly and proudly as a brightly shining beacon of the Catholic faith, lighting the path for young and old alike, leading the way for generation after generation and family after family of residents in our community. The outreach and influence of the church extend far beyond the borders of Pleasantville, as Saint Peter was the parish of Absecon, Northfield, Linwood and neighboring Egg Harbor and Galloway Townships before the growth of Catholicism in our region warranted the formation of additional parishes to serve our residents. On June 27, 1899, ground was broken for the Saint Peter Roman Catholic Church. The cornerstone was laid August 6, 1899, with the church opening almost exactly a year later. In 1926, Rev. Francis J. McCallion became pastor of Saint Peter, until his death on April 27, 1955.
Fr. McCallion garnered nationwide fame for the beautiful Spanish architecture of the church and original rectory. In August 1999, Fr. Ronald Falotico was appointed director of Ethnic Ministries of the Diocese of Camden and under his pastorate Saint Peter has been blessed in its growth and development into a multicultural parish encompassing the richly diverse interest and heritages of the English, Korean, Haitian and Spanish communities, including Masses celebrated in all four languages.
|Back to Parish Listings|