Formerly a mission of Holy Spirit, Atlantic City, St. Thomas was erected as a parish
in June 1958, with Father Kevin P. O'Doherty as its first pastor.
Mass was first celebrated in the parish at what was the mission church at 8th and
Brigantine Avenue on July 1, 1928. The mission church was closed during
World War II and afterwards refurbished and reopened. The grammar school,
known as St. Philip's, opened in 1964, staffed by the Daughters of Our Lady of Mercy.
The school is located at 42nd Street and Brigantine Avenue, the rectory at 8th Street
and the convent at 4101 Brigantine Avenue.