Before October 4, 1906, the founding date of St. Vincent de Paul,
Catholics of Mays Landing were served by St. Nicholas in Egg Harbor.
Father Theodore McCormick, pastor at Dorothy, Milmay and Risley
celebrated the first Mass in Mays Landing on April 15, 1906 at Veal's Opera
House. The church was opened on Christmas 1907 and dedicated by
Bishop McFaul of Trenton in June 1908.
In June 1955, Holy Cross Cemetery, consisting of 55 acres, was
developed and opened, later adding 60 acres. In June 1958, the church
building was renovated; it was repainted, marble flooring installed in the sanctuary
and a marble altar consecrated.