The history of the Bridgeton Catholic Community is nearly synonymous with the
early growth of Catholocism in South Jersey. The famous Jesuit "Father Farmer"
came to Bridgeton once or twice a year to baptize, officiate at marriages and celebrate
Mass. Father Gessner of Millville built the first Catholic church in Bridgeton in
1864, located at the corner of Pearl and North Streets. The second rectory and the
present church were built during the pastorate of Father (later Monsignor) Arthur
D. Hassett (1911-17). During this time, the name of the parish was changed to the
Church of the Immaculate Conception.