In 1958, Father (later Monsignor) William J. Reynolds was assigned to Sacred Heart
parish, Vineland, to begin working with the Hispanic residents of Vineland and
environs. From that time, Mass has been celebrated every Sunday for the
Spanish-speaking in the old Sacred Heart Church on 8th and Almond Streets. A fire
shortly before Easter of 1972 did extensive damage to the church, which has since
been redecorated. Last year the Spanish Catholic Center, incorporated
on April 26, 1965, was renamed Immaculate Heart of Mary.