The idea of establishing a church was born in 1904 by four local farmers that immigrated from Italy around 1892. After three years of raising funds, they were allowed to break ground at Dante and Cornucopia Avenues in East Vineland in 1908. The first Mass was celebrated on July 5, 1909 and dedicated by Bishop McFaul.
One acre of land was purchased by the pastor for the cemetery on August 29, 1909; the lots cost $10 each. The first collection on July 18, 1909 amounted to $7. Over the years the property has been expanded to include "grotto of Lourdes" (1938), outside Stations of the Cross "Mount Calvary" (1946), Rosary Social Hall (1952), and a mission church, St. Mary's in Milmay was constructed in 1955 (sold in 1999). A new church was built in 1968 and the old demolished in 1969. The Augustinian Fathers were stationed here from 1928 through 1994. The parish then went back to the care of priests of the Camden Diocese. The number of parish families has grown from 89 in 1910 to 497 in 2002 and continues to grow under the direction of Father Peter Saporito. This church shows that through the dedication of a few, many have reaped the rewards of the parish community.
|Back to Parish Listings|