Ground was purchased in Linwood under the direction of Father (later Monsignor)
John Flanagan in 1958, and additional ground purchased by Monsignor Joseph
Stoerlein in the early 60's. Both priests were pastors of St. Joseph, Somers Point.
Our Lady of Sorrows was established as a parish on August 4, 1965, and Father
Vincent Ferraro, M.SS.CC. was appointed first pastor. Mass was first celebrated in the
social hall built in Linwood by St. Joseph's parish in Somers Point. The new church
was completed in 1969 and the rectory in 1970. A religious education building connecting
the social hall and church was erected in 1979.