The first people in the Blackwood area were Lenape Indians, also known by early settlers as the Delaware Indians. John Blackwood owned much of the area's rich farmland and settled Blackwood in 1750. Fr. Michael Dolan, pastor of St. Patrick's in Woodbury, began celebrating Mass for Catholics in the Blackwood area in 1914.
In 1921, Fr. Charles McCorristin built the first church of St. Agnes on the corner of 6th Street and Woodbury Road. Fire destroyed that building in 1936. Rebuilt in 1938, the mission church, now St. John Vianney, was based on suggestions made by the Diocese of Camden's first Bishop, the Most Reverend Bartholomew Eustace. The mission was separated from St. Patrick's and became a mission of St. Teresa in Runnemede until in 1946 Bishop Eustace made St. Agnes a parish itself, naming Fr. Martin McMahon its first pastor. Fr. McMahon opened St. Agnes School on September 11, 1948. In 1966-67, Monsignor Edward Buckley oversaw the construction and dedication of a multi-purpose hall and rectory at the corner of Coles and Little Gloucester Roads in Gloucester Township which became the new home of St. Agnes Parish. In 1992, Pastor Monsignor Charles Barth directed the construction of a new parish center which would eventually include St. Agnes Junior High School. Renovation to the church began in January of 1997 under the dedicated supervision of current pastor Monsignor Joseph V. DiMauro, who also directed the renovation of the rectory through 2002. The various and vital ministries include Liturgical, Pastoral and Education services. The Children's Liturgy of the Word, Life Teen, the Casserole Program and St. Vincent DePaul Society, Grief Support and the Liturgical Renewal Board are just a few of the programs that seek to lead the people of God.
|Back to Parish Listings|