St. Anthony of Padua Chapel, a mission of St. Joseph's Pro-Cathedral in Camden,
was established as a parish to serve the new families of World War II veterans and
the largely immigrant population of Cramer Hill from Eastern Europe, Germany,
Poland, Italy and Ireland on August 27, 1945, with Fr. William O'Rourke, the first
pastor. The Franciscan Sisters of Syracuse, NY came to teach with the opening of the
school in 1960 and continued to educate our children in the faith until July 1999.
The present St. Anthony of Padua Church, dedicated by the Most Reverend Justin
J. McCarthy on Dec. 20, 1959, continues to serve a growing immigrant community, rich in
diversity but predominantly Latino. May we "weave a future" pleasing to our God and
worthy of our calling to be instruments of God's love, justice, and healing in Camden.