St. Augustine Parish has its origins in a group of Catholic laymen in the late
1880's. They had a priest from Philadelphia come for Sunday Mass. They erected
a small building on Asbury Avenue, which later became the site of the first church.
Father Stephen Lyons was the first priest of the newly established parish in 1895.
It was in 1914 that the still renowned Father Thomas Blake began his ministry of thirty
years. He built the present church in 1931. Msgr. Bartholomew Doyle came to Ocean
City in 1944. During his pastorate (1944-1968) all the other buildings that now comprise
the parish were built. The Parish had a fitting celebration of its 100th Anniversary