This was one of the first parishes created in the newly-established Diocese of Camden
by Bishop Eustace. Prior to its founding on January 21, 1939, the people of the area
were served by St. Peter's in Merchantville. The first pastor, Father
(later Monsignor) Raymond J. Kavanagh, remained at St. Cecilia's from its founding
until 1971. During his pastorate, the convent was erected in 1945, the church dedicated
in June 1953, a new rectory completed in 1958, and a new school and auditorium added
to the old building in 1959.