St. John Vianney parish began in 1914 when Mass was celebrated in a private home. Masses were moved in 1929 to a newly constructed church known as "St. Agnes parish" which became a mission of St. Teresa Parish in Runnemede. In 1936, the church fell prey to fire and was destroyed. Construction of the present day church was completed in 1930 under the leadership of Fr. Joseph Fritz, the pastor of St. Teresa Parish. On July 13, 1946, Bishop Bartholomew Eustace established St. Agnes Parish naming Father Martin D. McMahon as the first pastor.
As of 1955, St. Agnes parish was the only Catholic Church in Washington, Gloucester and Deptford Townships. In February 1971, St. Agnes Parish moved to its new home on Coles Road. Also in February 1971, Bishop George H. Guilfoyle established the new parish of St. John Vianney. The first pastor, Fr. Walter Reilly, revitalized the parish under the patronage of St. John Vianney and had the present rectory built. The present day pastor, Msgr. James Rynne, over the years has made numerous improvements to the church and continues his efforts for the continued growth of the parish.
|Back to Parish Listings|