In 1848, Catholics in Swedesboro gathered in an old house which stood near Clark's Hotel for Mass. Father Waldron, pastor of St. Mary's, Gloucester, came occasionally to minister to the scattered Catholics. Father Cornelius Cannon of Salem constructed the first Swedesboro church, a small simple frame structure dedicated in 1861.
In September, 1872, Father Anthony Cassesse arrived. Father William Treacy, the next pastor, purchased the present church property on Broad Street. The ground was finally put to use when a new rectory was built in 1898. The church was also moved from the north side of the cemetery to Broad Street and received some alterations to increase seating to 400. The first Mass in the present church was celebrated on Easter Sunday, April 4, 1926. The Swedesboro parish was responsible for the founding of various missions. In addition to attending Glassboro, the parish was in charge of the Woodstown mission from 1894 to 1900, and in 1898, Father Leahy opened a mission at Penns Grove. The Mullica Hill mission was opened in March, 1901, and attached to St. Joseph's.
|Back to Parish Listings|