New housing developments in the 1950's increased the Catholic population to the point where St. Patrick's, Woodbury, and Incarnation, Mantua, could no longer adequately serve the people. St. Margaret's parish was established on June 10, 1961, by Archbishop Damiano, with Father William L. McKeever as its first pastor.
Mass was offered for the people of the new parish at St. Patrick's School cafeteria, and in early 1962, daily Mass began in the present rectory on Beech Avenue, acquired in December, 1961. For some time, Mass was celebrated on Sundays at the Wood Theatre in Woodbury. Construction of the parish hall was completed in February, 1963, and Mass celebrated in the new building. A new church was dedicated on December 2, 1978, by Bishop Guilfoyle with Father (later Monsignor) David F. Budney as pastor.
|Back to Parish Listings|