In 1920, almost 100 Italian couples who had settled in the Malaga area raised
$10,000 to build a new church that today still serves St. Mary's Parish family.
St. Mary's, Malaga, was erected as a parish on June 10, 1961, under the pastoral
care of Father Charles H. Zimmer. Through all of its years, it had been mission
of several parishes. By April 1962, the foundation of a rectory for the parish
was completed. The original Catholic community of Malaga, which dates back to 1903,
had a considerably larger territory than the present St. Mary's. The Malaga
mission was made smaller by the creation of the Newfield and Franklinville