The first Mass was offered in Gibbstown by the Reverend Michael Dolan in John Bradley's home on Christmas Day in 1905. At that time there were seven Catholic families in Gibbstown. By the year 1920, the number of Catholic families had increased and the location of Mass moved from the Bradley home to Grotzinger's Hall at the corner of Broad Street and Repauno Avenue.
In 1928, it was decided that a church be built. The first St. Michael's Church was formerly dedicated on June 1, 1930 and Reverend Fred S. Kimball was named first pastor. By the early 1960's this building was too small to accommodate its people. Under the leadership of Father John J. Duffy, pastor from January 1951-February 1971, it was decided that a new church was a necessity. Ground breaking ceremonies took place on April 13, 1970 with Bishop James L. Schad, Auxiliary Bishop of Camden officiating. The first Mass was concelebrated in the new St. Michael's Church by the Rev. Patrick M. Tierney, pastor, Rev. Stanley E. Kloskowski and Rev. James Tracy on December 9, 1970. The dedication ceremony was held on May 9, 1971 with Bishop George H. Guilfoyle officiating.
|Back to Parish Listings|