St. Stephen's parish, founded on June 10, 1952, comprised parts of St. Joseph
Pro-Cathedral and St. Peter's Merchantville. The first pastor was Father
(later Monsignor) John P. O'Brien. Mass was first celebrated in the new parish
in the auditorium of Camden County Vocational School on Browning Road, Pennsauken,
and in the former Pro-Cathedral chapel on Woodland Avenue and Marlton Pike in
Pennsauken. The parish school opened in cubicles in the newly-built auditorium
in September 1961. The school itself was dedicated in March 1963 and the addition
made in 1965. The church building was constructed in 1978.